Our Approach to Environmental Sustainability Governance-old
Clorox’s sustainability governance starts at the top, with oversight of our environmental goals from our board and senior management team, and extends down to the grass-roots level, where sustainability is embedded into our employee’s day to day operations.
Our sustainability progress is overseen and enabled by a cross-functional Sustainability Center, led by our Chief Sustainability Officer, and driven by our business units who share responsibility for our IGNITE planet goals, which are part of our integrated IGNITE strategy.
This strategy includes both business and corporate responsibility priorities. Our sustainability efforts extend beyond our IGNITE planet goals, driving a broader environmental and social agenda into our brands and organization and across the full life-cycle of each business. This puts the ownership of defining and achieving a strategic sustainability plan into the hands of each business unit leadership team to contribute to and extend beyond the corporate IGNITE environmental, social and governance (ESG) goals.
Clorox Sustainability Vision
Be a leader in environmental sustainability, with a focus on plastic and other waste reduction and science-based climate action.
To enable every Clorox business to be a sustainable business. A sustainable business is a thriving business that delivers strong economic, environmental and social net positive benefits in a changing world.
Establish Clorox as the pace-setter in building sustainable brands through leadership in:
- Business Transformation
- Material Reduction
- Climate Stewardship
Deliver IGNITE ESG Planet Goals
Plastic and Other Waste
- 50% combined reduction in virgin plastic and fiber packaging by 2030
- 100% recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging by 2025
- Double plastic PCR in packaging by 2030 (+50% by 2025)
- 100% global facilities zero-waste-to-landfill by 2030 (plants by 2025)*
- Set and achieve science-based targets to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in our operations (scope 1 and 2) and across our value chain (scope 3)†
- 100% renewable electricity in the U.S. and Canada in 2021
* Where infrastructure allows
† Will set science-based targets (SBTs) for GHG emissions in coordination with and to be approved by the SBT initiative by October 2021
Maintain and Enhance Ongoing Environmental Commitments:
- Drive continued water efficiency improvements as we advance a more localized approach to water stewardship
- Source palm oil ingredients responsibly, driving sustainable change in the industry and within our palm oil derivative supply chains
- Use only recycled or certified virgin fiber (from sustainably managed forests) in packaging
Clorox Board of Directors’ Nominating, Governance and Corporate Responsibility Committee
The Nominating, Governance and Corporate Responsibility Committee oversees Clorox’s ESG matters and compliance and is updated at least quarterly on ESG-related priorities. The full board of directors receives regular ESG updates on key topics.
Clorox ESG Executive Committee
The ESG Executive Committee, comprised of Clorox’s EVP, Chief Growth Officer, EVP, Chief People and Corporate Affairs Officer and SVP, Chief Legal Officer – each reporting to Clorox’s CEO – is responsible for overseeing the execution of our ESG priorities and ensuring our business strategy considers and optimizes our ESG priorities. Clorox continues to be committed to strong governance and ESG performance and is working to further tie elements of ESG goals to executive compensation awards.
Clorox ESG Executive Team: EVP – Chief Growth Officer; EVP – Chief People and Corporate Affairs Officer; SVP – Chief Legal Officer
The Sustainability Center
The Sustainability Center is responsible for defining, driving and tracking progress against Clorox’s sustainability strategy. This cross-functional team serves as an enabling organization, building capability and supporting business units and functions in delivering both corporate planet goals and business unit sustainability goals. The Chief Sustainability Officer leads the Center, with executive oversight by the SVP, Chief Growth Officer, who reports to Clorox’s CEO.
Team Leader: Chief Sustainability Officer
Business Unit Leadership Teams
Each business unit leadership team is responsible for defining and achieving a strategic sustainability plan for its portfolio of brands that will help deliver corporate IGNITE ESG goals and advance its brands towards becoming a sustainable business. Each business unit leadership team designates a sustainability champion to lead its sustainability agenda.
Team Leaders: VP – General Managers
- Clorox Environmental Compliance Team owns compliance of Clorox operations, including the Environmental Management System (EMS)
- Product regulatory team owns environmental compliance of Clorox’s products and packaging
- Manufacturing plant environmental coordinators own local compliance activities, including implementing compliance programs and executing tasks related to the EMS
- Plant Managers are responsible for helping ensure overall compliance at their sites
Operational and Supply Chain Footprint
- Clorox Product Supply Leadership Team owns the environmental impact of Clorox operations
- The Global Strategic Sourcing group within Product Supply owns sustainability commitments specific to our upstream supply chain
- Business unit general managers and their teams own the environmental impact of Clorox’s product portfolio
- R&D product/packaging team executes environmental improvements
Clorox has a volunteer team of passionate employees called the Eco Warriors, which aim to create a forum for new ideas, help execute sustainable workplace initiatives and raise employee awareness of the importance of sustainability. Our Eco Warriors have played an especially important role in making progress against our zero-waste-to-landfill goals and will be increasingly called upon to help us drive our bold sustainability aspirations.