PLEASANTON, Calif., Oct. 2, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Stains and odors are a distraction for Americans everywhere, but odors from bio accidents like feces and vomit actually make them concerned for their health and safety, tarnishing the reputations of commercial facilities more easily than other common messes, according to a new survey from Clorox Professional Products Company.1
To help facilities address these tough messes, Clorox Professional Products Company introduces Clorox® Disinfecting Bio Stain & Odor Remover, an innovative one-step product that cleans, disinfects and deodorizes surfaces and can be used for accidents involving the toughest bio soils such as blood, feces, vomit and urine on both hard and soft surfaces.
"In addition to leaving behind unsightly stains and odors, bio soils may also contain harmful microorganisms that cause illness and disease that can spread infections throughout a facility if they are not properly cleaned and disinfected," said Lynda Lurie, Director – Marketing, Clorox Professional Products Company. "We know cleaning professionals need to clean up such messes quickly, and rather than use multiple single-benefit products, Clorox® Disinfecting Bio Stain & Odor Remover is a single EPA-registered product that reduces the number of products needed to just one."
Clorox® Disinfecting Bio Stain & Odor Remover is effective against a range of bio soils including blood, vomit, urine, feces, sweat and body oils, and is ideal for use in high-traffic locations such as schools, offices, athletic facilities, restaurants and bars, hotels, veterinary and pet care facilities, healthcare and long-term care facilities, and other public areas.
The Hidden Impact of Bio Stains and Odors
Almost 50 percent of cleaning professionals experience spills of blood or feces every day.2 Bio messes like blood, feces and vomit can contain a variety of pathogens, and as people move throughout the environment, they interact with different surfaces and move germs from surface to surface. The impact can be tremendous and not just on public health, but on reputation, as well.
It comes as no surprise that people are most offended by the odor and mess of bio soils like feces (56% and 76%) and vomit (44% and 72%), more so than garbage (30% and 32%) and food odors and messes (3% and 5%).1 But the impact of odors and messes extends beyond dislike and can impact facility reputation, business results and drive complaints to management and facility maintenance. In fact, survey results indicate that:1
- When exposed to certain bad odors, consumers feel concerned for their health and safety. When entering a room that smells like feces (31%) or vomit (32%), a third of consumers would be concerned for the health and safety of themselves and others. One-in-five (22%) would feel concerned for health and safety when entering a room that smells like urine.
- To most, bad smells are stronger indicators of cleanliness than stains. Most consumers (62%) say they are very sensitive to smells, both good and bad, but are much more likely to notice a smell if it is bad (72%) than good (28%). In particular, if entering a space that smelled of feces or vomit, consumers would:
- Think the facility is unclean (38% and 37%)
- Have a negative view of the facility (36% and 28%)
- Think the facility does not value cleanliness (24% and 28%)
- Never return to the space or facility (20% and 15%)
The impact is even greater depending on the type of facility. Most consumers believe that odor is the strongest indicator of cleanliness in hotels (61%) and long-term care facilities (67%), while half believe it is the strongest indicator of cleanliness of schools (49%) and offices (54%).
- Consumers generally have low tolerance for bad smells and messes in commercial facilities, are vocal about their concerns, and expect staff and management to address them immediately.
- Three quarters of consumers (76%) think facilities should clean up smells and stains related to urine, feces, vomit and blood immediately, and 17% would want them cleaned up within five minutes.
- If confronted with a bad odor:
- In an office setting, almost three quarters (70%) would complain to management
- At their child's school, six-in-10 parents (60%) would complain to a teacher (61%), principal (59%) or facility manager (59%)
- In a hotel, 74% would complain to hotel staff
- In a long-term care facility, a majority would complain to administrative staff (78%) or a nurse (62%)
Combating Bio Stains and Odors Quickly and Effectively
Clorox® Disinfecting Bio Stain & Odor Remover delivers strong cleaning performance and broad surface compatibility. Its scientific formulation harnesses the stain-lifting power of surfactants to break down bio soils and eliminate stains and odors better than enzymes and kill pathogens in as little as 30 seconds. It is Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered to kill 19 microorganisms commonly found in bio messes like blood, feces and vomit, including HIV-1, herpes simplex virus, influenza A virus, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C viruses, norovirus, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and more.
The versatile, low-pH formula can be used on a wide variety of hard and soft surfaces and materials including floors, common plastics, tile, glazed porcelain, ceramic and enamel, grout, fabrics, upholstery, mattresses, carpet and more. It is an EPA-registered soft surface sanitizer, killing 99.9% of bacteria and is compliant with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Bloodborne Pathogens standard.
Leading the Way in Innovation
Clorox® Disinfecting Bio Stain & Odor Remover is nominated for the 2018 ISSA Innovation Award, which recognizes the year's most innovative products and services that drive the cleaning industry forward. Industry professionals can vote for the product in the "Cleaning Agent" category online until October 15 and the winners will be announced at the ISSA Show North America 2018.
For more information about Clorox® Disinfecting Bio Stain & Odor Remover, visit www.CloroxProfessional.com.
About Clorox Professional Products Company
Building on a century-long legacy in cleaning and disinfecting, Clorox Professional offers some of the industry's most recognized brand names for the commercial cleaning industry. Whether it is hospitals, offices, restaurants, schools, hotels or other commercial facilities, Clorox Professional is committed to meeting the demands of industry professionals. For more information, visit www.CloroxProfessional.com.
1 Clorox Professional Products Company and Ketchum Research Findings (August 2018). (Online survey of 1,000 American adults 18 years or older.)
2 Clorox Professional Products Company Findings (December 2017). (Online survey of 217 surface disinfection decision makers.)
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/clorox-professional-products-company-introduces-new-clorox-disinfecting-bio-stain--odor-remover-300722188.html
SOURCE Clorox Professional Products Company